Sunday, March 18, 2007

Test the Nation

First of all, I'd like to apologize to all 26-year-olds, women, Ontarians, brunettes, right-handed people, night people, vegetarians, wine-drinkers, first-born children, and whoever matched my demographics for the other demographic questions (I forget what they all were now). I misread two logic questions and one math question, and that brought my score (and consequently the score for my entire demographic) down to 132, even though I've always tested over 135 under official conditions. (My understanding is this is important because 135 is some kind of threshold.) The online test seems to give the user less time than official IQ tests do, because I've never felt pressed for time taking a real-life IQ test. Either that, or real-life IQ tests don't mix up, for example, synonym and antonym questions. I don't know if they do or not because it's been over a decade since I've been tested officially, but I've never had to be so aware of what the question is actually answering before.

I found that the memory questions, and to a lesser extent the pattern recognition questions, weren't so much about memory and pattern recognition as they were about being familiar with the kinds of questions they might ask in a memory or pattern recognition test. I wasn't actually memorizing in the memory section, I was looking for questions they might ask. I don't think that tests real-life memory, because in real-life you don't deliberately look for those kinds of details. They just test how well you test.

No comments: