Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Little Mosque has officially lost me

Rayyan is a doctor. That means that she is a) a very responsible person, and b) at least in her mid-20s, probably older.

I simply cannot enjoy spending time in a place where a grown woman who is a physician and whose behaviour has been nothing but exemplary is not trusted to adhere to her own morals.

This plot might work with a teenager (although I'd still find it distasteful), but you can't just transpose it onto a grown adult who is a doctor.

4 comments:

laura k said...

I took it to be that she's immature socially, from lack of experience. I can see what you're saying, too.

I'm still watching, but it's only mildly funny. If everyone would stop over-acting - especially the actor who plays Yassir, but everyone else too - it would go a long way.

impudent strumpet said...

I think the big point they're all missing is that even if she's immature socially, it's not like she hasn't had the chance or like she's a naif. She's obviously been to university and medical school, so if she wanted to tear off the veil and indulge in some torrid unislamic behaviour, she would have done so there, and probably wouldn't have moved back in with her parents after.

Either the writers or the Muslim community are forgetting this. If it's the writers, that's unacceptable. If it's the Muslim community, it's just not a place where I want to spend my free time.

laura k said...

I think they're just expecting you to not think so much.

impudent strumpet said...

Well too bad for them, because I haven't figured out how to turn it off yet.