Sunday, March 18, 2007

Teach me how to tip my movers

This is the first time I've ever hired movers, and I'm not certain about the tipping dance.

1. The general consensus of the internet seems to be that $20-30 for each guy is an appropriate tip. But is this a flat-rate tip, or is it based on a percentage of the bill? The company I've chosen is one of the more expensive ones out there - I decided I'm willing to pay for a good reputation - so as tips go this isn't actually a respectable percentage of the bill. Do I need to be tipping 20% of the bill, and if so do I need to give that to each guy, or in total?

2. Like most reputable companies, the one I've chosen has a minimum number of hours for which they charge you. Because my apartment is small and my move is short, it's going to take less than the minimum number of hours. I've decided this is acceptable, especially considering the poor repuations of companies who don't have minimum charges. But if the tip is supposed to be a percentage of the bill, do I tip as a percentage of the actual bill (which will be for more hours than they actually worked), or as a percentage of what the bill would be if there was no minimum charge?

3. How exactly do I give the tip to the mover? When I go to a restaurant, I tip by leaving money on the table. When I order a pizza or take a taxi, I tip by telling them to keep the change. I've never been in a situation where I have to actually hand the tip to the person. I'm not comfortable with this - it feels kind of like an insult to their dignity. Do I just hand them a wad of cash or put it in an envelope? Do I say "Here's your tip" or do I just hand it to them? Do I give them each their own tip separately or just give it to the head guy?

4. I might have them working through lunch. The internet tells me that the polite thing to do is feed them, but this is logistically difficult. I happen to have in my possession some gift certificates for a place where they can get some (fast and cheap) lunch. I'm never going to use them because I'm embarrassed to use gift certificates for such a small purchase. Would it be a good idea or a bad idea for me to include these in the tip (in addition to, not as a substitute for, an appropriate amount of money)? I think it might be a good idea because it will cover the lunch thing, but I think it might be a bad idea because it's something I'm embarrassed to use myelf.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone might have on these questions.

4 comments:

M@ said...

I've never tipped movers as much as 20% -- that's really high. I usually tip $10-20 per mover.

An easy way to do it is to say "here, let me pay for lunch for you guys," and hand over the money. Also, at some point during the move I always go for coffee for them (and I offer them soft drinks or water, usually leaving some in an obvious place and telling them to help themselves).

Maybe I'm really cheap on the tips, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

I think m@ is on the right track. I would definitely offer them water, at minimum, and/or coffee or soft drinks, if they prefer. I offer refreshments to any invited guest, so it's any easy decision to extend that offer to workers doing physical labor.

Beyond that, I think the amount and method of tipping is entirely up to you, i.e. you cannot do it "wrong." If anyone involved with the move does anything but accept the tip graciously, that would be unprofessional conduct, IMO. If the reaction or the service is particularly poor, I would not indicate or discuss that with the crew, but I would call the company and let them know, so it can take action to preserve a good reputation.

laura k said...

I'm late on this, sorry. That's what happens when you catch up on blog reading in big chunks.

I wouldn't tip a percentage of the moving bill, that doesn't seem appropriate to me, but I'd tip at least $20 per mover, $30 or $40 if it was a long day and they did a lot of work.

For a single person's apartment $20/person is probably enough. We have a three-bedroom house with a lot of stuff. We did $40 each.

Offering water and lunch is nice, but IMO that is just courtesy, it can't substitute for cash.

As to how, here's what we do. Have the money folded up already, each tip its own little "package", and put them in your pocket or have them in your hand. When they're wrapping up and getting ready to leave, thank each person for his time, shake his hand and with your other hand give him the tip.

He's expecting it, so he'll make it less awkward for you by taking it and saying thanks.

Also - and I know you didn't ask about this - "keep the change" usually means you are under-tipping, unless you always pay with large bills. It's better to take your change, then fumble around for the appropriate tip, and give that separately.

My attitude about tipping is imported from the US, and very different than most people's around here.

laura k said...

And good luck on the move, if I haven't missed it already!