Sunday, March 18, 2007

More on Test the Nation

1. On a 20 inch, non-HD TV, the pictures for the puzzle questions aren't clear enough.

2. The little CBC logo in the corner gets in the way sometimes

3. One of the millionaires runs a dating service that pairs up rich men with hot women. Tastefulness aside, and aside from the fact that I wouldn't want to date someone who wanted me only for my money/body, I couldn't imagine dating someone who was willing to date someone who wanted them only for their money/body. "Hi, I have no higher expectations from my personal life than to be used in a prostitution-style transaction." Not attractive.

Edit:
4. They really should explain HOW you're supposed to arrive at the answer. Some of them really did require explanation for people who didn't get them. The one with the sequence of numbers where they asked which one didn't belong, and the one that didn't belong was 8, I really didn't get the logic behind that, even with the correct answer in hand. I hope they post explanations on their website.

5. In the IQ calculation chart gives older people a few more IQ points for the same number of questions than younger people (and I don't mean OLD old people - the oldest demographic category was 55+). I wonder why? You'd think a few more years of life experience would make it easier to answer some of these questions, so older people with lower IQs would be able to answer more questions rather than vice versa.

6. The highest possible scores seem low to me. The highest someone older than 55 could get is 156, and the highest someone under 24 could get is 141. All the official testing I've done has been in the context of a gifted education program, so I'm used to seeing people jockeying around among higher scores. But seriously, there must be some people out who are under 24 with an IQ well over 141. It's statistically rare, true, but it's common enough that they wouldn't write you up in the newspaper as a human interest story or anything.

1 comment:

CQ said...

_Thank you for pointing out the 20" TV / image issue. I usually answer fairly well (117, or 118 if I'm marking the answers), and then wipe out in the final 10 visual questions. I've seen a couple of these IQ shows before.
_4. The numbers added together. 6+7 = 13, then 14+15 = 29, then 30.