Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Weird voicemail spam

I got this message on my voicemail today - I don't know if it was a legit phone call or voicemail spam because it arrived while I was at work - that sounded very unprofessional. The guy was saying "Um, I was wondering if you or anyone you know was planning to move within the next six months?" The message was very vague, unclear, and unprofessional, filled with ums and ahs and broken, heavily accented English. (Normally I don't judge imperfect English, but if they're approaching me apropos of nothing I'm not going to make an effort to understand).

I can see two possibilities:

1. It's a hook. The unprofessional-sounding script was designed specifically to sound that way, so people wouldn't think it's voicemail spam or something, I'm not sure why.

2. They really are that inept.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must have been Boris. This has been going on for 5 or 6 years now. I've never had the message, but my SO had several calls about 2 years ago.

Anonymous said...

http://flaneur.typepad.com/cellar_dweller/best_price_movers/index.html

Not Boris but all the sordid details anyway.

impudent strumpet said...

No, I've had Boris before and it wasn't him. I do think it was Janusz, like Anonymous #2 said. Thank you for that link and the subsequent link to Accordian Guy - I'm glad to have the chance to avoid hiring a moving company that threatens people for bad feedback.