Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Queer

This article in the Star's ethics column has me perturbed:

Q: I'm a Protestant minister. I'm pretty well known in my church for my outspoken advocacy and actions on behalf of marginalized people — street folk, the mentally challenged, and members of the queer community.

Recently I was approached by a political party to run in the next provincial election. I'm intrigued by the possibility, but wondering about ethical implications. Comments?

A: First off, you're going to have to stop using the word "queer" if you plan to get elected. We haven't quite come full circle on that one yet in mainstream society.
[...]


Is this true? I always thought anyone can use queer. I am aware that:

- queer has been (and still can be, with certain context, intent, and presentation) used as a slur
- queer has undergone or is undergoing a reclamation process
- during a reclamation process, not everyone can rightfully use the word being reclaimed - the circle of people who can use the word widens steadily until it encompasses all of society, but it's not like just anyone can wander in and start using the word.

But I thought queer had undergone enough of a reclamation process that anyone can use it with benign intentions and a proper understanding of the scope of the word's benign use. It was even used in the title of a mainstream TV show! Was I wrong about this? Besides that, it's quite a convenient word - the scope is broader than any other individual word that I can think of, although the level of language is rather low. I don't find I use it terribly often, but when I do use it it's the best possible word, and there's no other word that will do.

Abstract discussion points: who is and is not allowed to say queer and why?

Concrete discussion points: am I allowed to use the word queer? If not, what should I say when I need to communicate that concept?

No comments: