Thursday, June 22, 2006

Good design

Like many of this season's skirts, the skirt I'm wearing today has two layers: the skirt itself, and a built-in slip. This is very convenient because then you don't have to worry about light shining through your skirt.

The main skirt (i.e. the outer layer) is cut very full, so it spins out when I twirl (yes, I twirl on a regular basis) and creates an aesthetic allusion to the 1950s. The slip (i.e. the inner layer) is not cut nearly as full, so if it were its own skirt it wouldn't twirl nearly as well as the outer layer.

Today I realized this has an excellent practical function: when an unexpected gust of wind or a poorly designed subway station results in the Marilyn Monroe effect, the bottom layer doesn't lift up nearly as high as the top layer. So I can enjoy the effect of my skirt swirling about and imagine that if I jump off the stair I'll float into the air like Mary Poppins, all without compromising my modesty or horrifying the masses with my unattractive undergarments.

No comments: