Sunday, June 04, 2006

Big yucky mess

I was lying in bed in that nice calm place where I'm not asleep yet but my thoughts are wandering freely and dallying wherever they please, when I suddenly realized I hadn't taken out my garbage yet. As I've mentioned before, it is absolutely imperative that the kitchen garbage be emptied every night. So, despite the fact taht it was pushing 2 a.m., I got out of bed and went to the kitchen to get the garbage. I took the bag out of the can, tied it off as usual, and carried it out to the garbage chute. In the livingroom, I felt like I had stepped on something, so I looked down.

BIG MESS!

The garbage bag had sprung a leak. And it was particularly full today, so there was a mess of coffee grinds and dead noodles (funny, I don't remember putting noodles in the garbage) and unidentifiable liquid all over the kitchen floor and halfway into the livingroom. I took the bag back to the kitchen (making more of a mess along the way), stuck it in another bag, took it out to the chute and threw it down, then came back to my apartment to clean up the mess. It's now clean, although I had to run the vacuum for about 10 seconds to pick up some stray bits of ground coffee.

So if one of your neighbours was disturbing you by vacuuming and throwing things down the garbage chute in the middle of the night, please be forgiving - she was probably having a rough night.

No comments: