Monday, October 24, 2005

Things I Don't Understand

1. There have been a couple of recently-publicized incidents of hazing, one in an OHL team and the other at McGill University. In both cases, measures were taken to punish the wrongdoers and prevent future hazing. In both cases, people complained about the fact that measures were taken to stop hazing. WTF? I seriously cannot wrap my mind around that. Even if someone personally does not think hazing is a big deal, I cannot fathom why they would go to all the trouble to write a letter opposing stopping hazing. Why would someone want so badly to make random other people undergo abuse and humiliation that they would speak out in protest if the abuse and humiliation was stopped?

2. The grocery store was selling Hallowe'en-themed cakes. One of the cakes was decorated with rubber spiders. WTF? I know not everyone is an arachnophobic like me, but is there anyone for whom that sort of decoration would actually improve their cake-eating experience? I'm sure even people who think those . . . THINGS are cool would prefer not to have them on their cake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the letter writers were hazed themselves at some point?

And so their mindset is, 'if I had to put up with, so should everyone else!'