Sunday, October 09, 2005

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

I enjoyed almost all of this mystery novel, right up until the ending. The gloriously interlocking plots were all resolved satisfactorily, but the resolution happened off-screen and the reader was kind of told about it later. I would have preferred to be shown the denouement, not told about it.

There were also two subplots that didn't seem to contribute anything to the rest of the book. They sort of vaguely touched the other plots, but they didn't progress or resolve or add anything.

Despite these problems, the process of reading the book was quite enjoyable. I knew the plots were going to intertwine and I had fun reading along and guessing what would happen next (I guessed some things but not everything, and my correct guesses came along early enough that I felt smart, but late enough that I didn't feel cheated.) I just would have enjoyed seeing more of the resolution rather than being told about it after the fact.

No comments: