Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Brilliant Ideas That Will Never Work: Sabbaticals for all!

I read an article recently that said that for the economy to survive the coming decades, people are going to have to work longer, perhaps doing away with retirement entirely.

I'm not sure whether I believe that or not, but if it is necessary, I have a simple solution:

Let everyone take sabbaticals.

Professors can do it. They get six months or a year off every X years, and they can use the time to travel or research or veg or whatever.

I don't know if sabbaticals are usually paid or unpaid. If they're usually unpaid, then they'd be self-funded, maybe with a little something to help lower-income people, but the workers could still keep their employer benefits. If they're paid, their funded however universities do it.

Simply make it a universal employment standard that workers get X months of sabbatical every Y years. Then they can use the time to write or travel or study or renovate or whatever. If I have to spend 80 years in the workforce, the idea of getting regular sabbaticals makes it much more palatable.

No comments: