Friday, May 07, 2004

Salon asked its readers when and why they stopped watching Friends. My reply:
When Friends started airing, I was 13 years old and just starting high school. When I watched an episode of Friends, I would thing, "I want a life like that when I grow up." I don't remember when exactly I stopped watching the show, but I know that it was because I got to the point where I would watch an episode of friends and think, "When are they going to get a life and grow up?"

The final episode reminded me of why I loved the show and why I hated the show. There were those annoying moments of awkwardness and stupidity that make me mute the TV (Chandler trying to make small talk with Erica) and moments that made me laugh out loud (Joey trying to find the duckling and the chick, the presentation of the twins). I will admit to crying when Rachel got off the plane, even though Ross is surprisingly stupid for a scientist. At satisfying ending all around.

I just realized why I thought newborn babies don't move or do anything - because on TV they often have the actors just holding a bundle of blankets, with the occasional close-up of a real baby.

No comments: