Saturday, August 09, 2003

I've figured out why the use of the word marriage is so important to me. Not calling same-sex marriage marriage implies the sort of squirming, cringing homophobia that is more often found in middle school. It gives the impression of desperately trying to avoid anything that could even be remotely described as gay so as to avoid being thought of as gay oneself. It seems like the unspoken train of thought is "Oh no! If gay people can get married...I'm married! Will that make me gay? What if people think I'm gay?"

While I will heave a world-weary sigh and begrudgingly acknowledge that this squirming cringing adolescent homophobia still does exist among some elements of our society, it should not be in our legistation. Our legislation should represent the best of us.

No comments: