Thursday, August 28, 2003

It's like the instant I graduated, my body betrayed me. It realized "Okay, she's not a student any more, she's a professional - let the aging process begin!" Grey hairs are more frequent, fine lines are starting to appear around my eyes, my ankles are (imperceptibly to anyone but me) thicker, red stretchmarks have appeared where only white stretchmarks have been before, my tummy sticks out enough to make any clothes that aren't perfectly cut look frumpy, my waist is suddenly higher than the waistband of any of my clothes...

...but in my body's sudden rush to age me, it forgot to turn off the acne.

It's weird, my diet is healthier than it has ever been, my weight on the scale is the same, I get the same amount, if not more, exercise than I did at any point during school, but suddenly I'm aging. I thought I'd have a few more years before this happens.

But despite all this, I don't wish for a younger body. Maybe my 19 year old body, before the first grey hair turned up, but I certainly don't covet the adolescent body. It was awkward, ever-evolving, betraying me at every turn, always older than I felt. Perhaps this just means that my body is always destined to be older than I feel.

No comments: