Sunday, August 21, 2011

Is medical science working to eliminate the need for virtue?

The lifestyle changes that I've been whining about are considered, both by conventional and alternative medicine, to be the first step in treating the condition. The standard way of thinking is maybe they'll be all you need, and that would be a good thing. Medication and procedures are intended for more extreme cases, where lifestyle changes don't work.

This has me wondering: is anyone in medical science even thinking about it the other way around, i.e. can we invent a medication or procedure that would make the lifestyle changes unnecessary? Just make you not reflux at all, so you can have as much acidic food as you want?

(I haven't done extensive research this far, but what information I have suggests that medication for GERD are unsustainable in the long term because they can deteriorate your bones, and available surgeries might not necessarily last the rest of your life and might need to be redone. If you know of a medication or surgery that actually does stop GERD without lifestyle changes, please post it in the comments, I beg of you!)

This also reminds me of smoking. If you smoke, you're supposed to quit. There are tools to help you quit. But is there, or is medical science working on, a way to counter the harm done by cigarettes? Smoke a cigarette and then taken an anti-cigarette pill or something?

I've never heard of anything like this for anything.* Is that because science hasn't yet figured out how?

Or is that because of the Protestant-work-ethicish societal attitude that we should all just Be Good and Virtuous if we want our lives to work well?

I find myself wondering if that's true. So many of the people I've whined to were all "Oh, it's no big deal, you just have to make a few changes." But that's what's making me unhappy!

You'd think capitalism and big pharma would get behind this. Now, instead of people buying cigarettes, they can buy cigarettes AND anti-cigarette pills. Come on, get on it, our economy needs a boost!

*Update: I can think of one example: the morning-after pill. Another possible example is insulin, but I don't think diabetes management is quite up to the point where you eat whatever you want and then take the corresponding amount of insulin. Unless, of course, it is, in which case more power to you!

6 comments:

laura k said...

I think pharma research goes this way anywhere there's a market for it. The biggest example is, I think, The Pill, oral contraceptives. Cholesterol lowering drugs are another. The problem is that every drug has side effects as well as expense, so the path of least resistance is always thought to be lifestyle changes.

You may find that increasing numbers of these annoying changes are required as we age. It seems when we're young our bodies can take a lot of stuff that older bodies can't. I recently discovered I have become lactose intolerant - and also discovered this is pretty common. I thought you were either born with that or not, but no.

impudent strumpet said...

Lactose intolerant! OMG! You have my most complete and total sympathy. Seriously. A world without cheese is just too scary to imagine

If this is a normal part of aging, they need to figure out a way to give us the option of trading off some of our life expectancy to maintain our quality of life while we're alive. But these stupid dietary things don't even give you that option.

laura k said...

Thank dog I can eat cheese! And yogurt. I can no longer put milk on cereal, though, or in coffee or tea. I'm reluctantly using rice beverage and not eating much cereal. Coffee, black. Tea with milk plus Lactaid tablets which taste like chalk. I don't like it.

I already want to trade in some life expectancy and use for RRSP funds for travel. Being responsible is so annoying.

impudent strumpet said...

I'm so glad you can still eat cheese, and so sorry about the other things!

You've actually just reminded me that cereal is a quick and easy option for breakfast (I haven't had it in years and it was completely off my radar) so thank you for that.

laura k said...

Oh my, you're welcome. Great for getting whole grains, too. My problem with cereal is that I like it too much. Portion control is an issue.

Thanks for the lactose sympathy. Not being able to eat cheese would be friggin awful, I agree.

cord blood banking said...

I’m still learning from you, as I’m making my way to the top as well. I definitely enjoy reading all that is written on your blog.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!