Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Things They Should Invent: "just one little thing" limit

So many pieces of advice you hear are presented as "just one little thing" - a "quick and easy" "manageable step" you're supposed to do every day and then your life will be flawless.

"Just make your lunch the night before, it only takes a few minutes!" "Just get off one bus stop early and walk the rest of the way!" "Just follow this quick and easy four-minute workout every day!" "Just spend 15 minutes a day decluttering!" "Just add a cup of green tea and a handful of lentils to your meal!" "Just budget a dollar a day!" "Just take a few minutes to write down everything you eat in your journal!" "Just shine your sink before you go to bed!"

And if you ever decline to follow the advice, the purveyor of the advice is all "What's the big deal? I don't see what your problem is! It's only a few minutes/a dollar a day/a tiny bit more effort!"

There needs to be an official limit. They need to get together a group of authoritative experts and legislate the maximum time/money/effort a person can reasonably invest in "just one little thing". Then when you've reached your official limit, you can just say "Nope, I'm at my limit. No more just one more things!"

3 comments:

Whitney said...

I can tell that you've tried the FlyLady method of decluttering XD

laura k said...

I wonder what Whitney's comment means.

I think the limit of one more thing changes a lot over time and depending on mood. But I get sick of hearing that, too.

impudent strumpet said...

Whitney is talking about FlyLady, which I have indeed tried and found it wasn't for me. There are elements I can and do use, but as a whole it doesn't seem to realize I have a job and other intellectual priorities that come before housekeeping.