Friday, April 23, 2010

My nomination for our next Governor General

Why not James Bartleman?

We haven't had an Aboriginal Governor General yet, and it's high time. (Because it's a symbolic position, we can afford to think primarily in terms of symbolism.)

Traditionally we alternate between Anglophone and Francophone, and since Madam Jean is Francophone it's reasonable to look at Anglophones for the next appointment. (I'm pretty sure Mr. Bartleman is bilingual, but I can't seem to google up confirmation.)

He's non-partisan, has diplomatic experience (which will likely come in handy in this era of minority governments) and has already done a laudable job as Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.

I freely concede that there are likely other suitable Aboriginal candidates, but James Bartleman is who came to mind for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A vice-regal appointment is a one-timer. You don't move up from the provincial to federal level like in politics.

impudent strumpet said...

Not automatically, I know. But is it not allowed? Or is it just not often done?