Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Stupidest thing ever EVER!

So it seems some pathetic losers who need to get a life are going to picket Heath Ledger's funeral. Because apparently he once played a gay character in some movie or another.

Apart from how tasteless and idiotic that is, I have a serious question:

What, specifically, are they trying to accomplish?

I mean that literally. When you're picketing or protesting, you have a specific tangible goal. You want a better collective agreement or you want trans fats banned or you want war to stop. Usually if the right person signs a piece of paper that says the right thing, you've won.

But in this case, what is their goal? He can't UNplay a gay character. And even if he could, he's dead now so he can't do anything about it.

(Aside: when I hear about things like this, sometimes my first thought is that someone of the same sex should walk up to them and give them a big ol' snog. Which of course is completely inappropriate - everyone should have the right to go around in public and even protest stupid things in public without having unwanted snogging forced on them. Plus it disturbs me that I'm thinking in terms of using sexuality as a weapon. But I do wonder what the legal status would be if you gave them due warning: "If you keep gaybashing him, I will kiss you - with tongue! If you shut up now, I will not kiss you." And then they keep up with the gaybashing so you kiss them. Would that be any less assault than unwanted snogging with no warning?)

4 comments:

laura k said...

You're so right. Stupidest. Thing. Ever.

"What, specifically, are they trying to accomplish?"

Perhaps calling attention to gay people in popular culture, which they would prefer not exist? Or just venting their hatred?

Good job, too, on the "shut up or get snogged". I have the same thought, then correct myself.

laura k said...

Also, off-topic but of general Impudent Strumpet interest:

A few nights ago, watching a Simpsons re-run, I was very happy to hear the words "a complete list of things I have and have not seen can be found on my blog".

I hope I'm quoting it right. I said it along with Comic Book Guy and thought of this blog. (I'm surprised I can't find a blog called actually named that.)

impudent strumpet said...

I don't know if I'm quoting it right either, actually. I tried to find the right quote when I made up the category, but it wasn't quoted anywhere.

laura k said...

I know! I couldn't find the quote either, and was very surprised.