Friday, May 12, 2006

Thoughts for today

1. The deli where I buy my breakfast was giving out candies to its female customers for Mother's Day. They offered me one, and I said "No thanks, I'm not a mother." The deli manager said "Oh, you don't have kids yet?" I couldn't think of anything to say, so I just took my breakfast and went back to work.

Obviously the problem with his statement is the "yet". I'm childfree, so there is no yet. Of course, the deli manager clearly has no way of knowing that. However, by not finding a way to politely clarify that I'm childfree, I missed an opportunity to correct the common misconception that all women intend to have children.

Given that the manager knew nothing about my private life, the offer of candy was not inappropriate, but the "yet" was. I wish I'd found some way to politely address that.

2. Fun fact: the word ptak is an epithet in Klingon, but it means "bird" in Polish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BIRD!!!

Too bad 'Evil' You didn't come out of your box in a dramatic outburst of emotion!
(I'm not saying this would be the appropriate response to make a political statement, nor would it be making any political statement at all, actually!!! It would just be a terrifying scene of lies, leading to other people feeling sad for you!)