Friday, December 02, 2005

Tax cuts

I have been asked for my opinion on cutting the GST (as proposed by the Conservative party) vs. cutting income tax.

Extrapolating from my own experience of being at the very bottom of the taxation scale, I think cutting the GST would put more actual dollars back in the pockets of the very poorest. However, I do not know whether this would be enough money to be significant - I suppose it depends on the individual situation.

GST cuts, like income tax cuts, would save disproportionately more money for the very richest, because they have more disposable income to spend on GST-taxable items. However, I don't think this disproportionality can be avoided when you're doing tax cuts.

In my current situation, the maximum amount of money I could save with the proposed GST cuts is about $400 per year (calculated with the assumption that all of my net income that is not earmarked for savings is spent on GST-taxable purchases; IRL this is not the case).

In my situation in 4th year university (not my poorest year, but the one for which I can best remember the specifics of my financial situation) the maximum amount of money I could have saved with the proposed GST cuts is about $30 per year (working with the assumption that there is no GST in tuition or res fees).

$30 was more significant to me in 4th year uni than $400 is now, because I have more job security now. (I wouldn't say, objectively, that I have job security, but my current position is permanent, while in uni my job ended when I graduated, so I knew for sure that and when it would end). However, in both cases I would be more comfortable with the money being in government coffers, where it could be spent on income security programs. I don't know if it will be used for income security, but I know that it cannot be used for income security if it's in people's pockets, and I know that an extra $400 will not provide me with any meaningful additional income security.

I have become accustomed to paying the level of taxes that I am currently paying. They do not present any sort of hardship in my current incarnation as a middle-class professional, and they did not present a hardship in my previous bouts with unemployment and student life. I would rather continue paying taxes at my current level, and if the government finds it's collecting more money than it needs, have the government use the money to improve pensions, employment insurance, social assistance, etc. I fully expect to be unwillingly unemployed at some point in my life, and I would very much rather have enough income support in my unemployment that I don't have to live somewhere infested than have a few hundred extra dollars in my pocket now.

So, in summary, I do think a GST cut is more beneficial than an income tax cut.

However:
- this does not necessarily mean a GST cut would be a good idea
- this does not mean that a GST cut would be more beneficial than investing the money in income security
- this does not necessarily mean the Conservative platform as a whole is good.

I will be reviewing the party platforms this weekend if they've been posted on the websites, so I may come back to this later.

1 comment:

impudent strumpet said...

Update: I have since learned that the Conservative platform that includes the GST cut also includes a roll-back of some Liberal income-tax cuts.

I ran rough numbers for my current situation and my situation in 4th year uni, and the GST cut was completely negated by the rolled-back income tax cuts. In light of this information, I can no longer say that I think it would put more dollars in the pockets of the very poorest.

Caveats:

1. I ran my numbers to 2 significant digits only. I used a calculator, logic, and educated estimates only - no tax preparation or accounting software.
2. The current income tax situation did not apply when I was in 4th year university.
3. I have no way of knowing whether or not these numbers would apply to any other situation of anyone else in the world. The possibility has not been eliminated that it is a two-time fluke.