Monday, May 23, 2011

What if they taught noblesse oblige in school?

I first learned about the concept of noblesse oblige in sociolinguistics class, when we were studying U and Non-U. To give us some context, the prof talked to us about the British conceptualization of old money (generally title nobility) vs. nouveau riche. The most memorable example she gave was that titled nobility would wear an extremely good quality cashmere sweater that they bought 20 years ago, while nouveau riche would ostentatiously buy the trendiest new clothes every year. I found the noblesse oblige concept appealing, and try to work it into my own life on the few occasions when I can find an opportunity to do so.

A number of things recently have made me wonder "Haven't they ever heard of noblesse oblige?" Some of this comes from politics, some of it comes from my recent readings on bullying theory. Most recent was from this article:

At one Southern school, some popular kids keep the price tags on their clothing so that classmates can see that they paid full price at a nondiscount store.


WTF? Haven't they ever heard of noblesse oblige?

Actually, they probably haven't. I first met the concept in an upper-year university sociolinguistics course, so why on earth would I think schoolkids should have heard of it?

But wouldn't it be useful if it were a more widely-known concept? What if they taught it in school?

Obviously they can't teach it as a thou shalt - that would come across as lecturey and sanctimonious and would never work. It would have to be closer to how I was introduced to it, simply "This is a thing that exists. Nobility does it."

So how would you do that? First thing that comes to mind is in a novel. For one or more of the books everyone reads in English class, pick something where noblesse oblige is a plot or character point. Appealing protagonist characters demonstrate noblesse oblige, and unappealing antagonist characters fail to do so. It wouldn't be the whole moral of the novel, just an underlying thread, like how entails are an underlying thread of Jane Austen novels but the books are far more than just a lecture on the follies of entails. That would introduce people to the concept of noblesse oblige in a non-lecturey way, and maybe the idea would stick with some people and help make the world a better place in the long run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something about me actually likes the price-tag-wearers. The people who brag about how little they pay are showing off their assertiveness and negotiation skills, which cuts directly to my own personal inferiority complex. Also, does not open disclosure of actual price paid not advance the Cause of Transparency?

impudent strumpet said...

Interesting, I never thought of it that way. When I mention that I got a good deal on something, what I'm really saying to my interlocutor is "Don't worry, I can't really afford actual designer prices! I just had a stroke of good luck!" I'll have to rethink that.