Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The mystery of Reitmans Comfort Fit pants

This year, Reitmans Comfort Fit pants have a tag on them suggesting that you try wearing a size smaller than your regular size, "for a smoother fit that will hug your waist".

But the pants are already smaller than last year!

I know it's the pants and not my weight because I still have the ones I bought last year. Last year's size 13 currently gives me a generous, and perhaps even roomy, fit in the thighs and seat, in more of a 90s aesthetic. This year's size 13 is fashionably snug in the thighs and seat. This year's size 11 makes my hips and thighs look like sausages, even fatter than I look naked.

I can understand making the pants narrower in keeping with this year's aesthetic. And I can understand encouraging people to maybe try on a size smaller to get a look that's more in keeping with this year's aesthetic. But why on earth would you do both? What could that possibly achieve except make your customers feel fat?

No comments: