Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Only one person stopped to help

Sometimes in the Star's Acts of Kindness and other good deed stories, you there are stories where someone's in trouble and only one person stopped to help, everyone else just walked by, pretending they didn't see it.

Today I saw a lady fall down, and another lady immediately stopped to help. I didn't see any further need for help (fallen-down lady was getting up, no apparent injuries, they didn't need more people to pick up her personal effects) so I didn't linger and, to protect fallen-down lady's dignity and privacy, did my very best not to stare.

What would they have me do instead? I certainly wouldn't want a whole crowd gathering if I were the one who fell down.

4 comments:

laura k said...

You did the right thing. I often do that too - I look, make sure the person is taken care of, and move on. It's as if people want you to stop just to show you stopped. So the show is more important than the act.

CQ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CQ said...

On a comparable note: Two different persons stopped me to ask for directions while I was walking along last night. I answered both. That happens a fair bit; although not twice.
"everyone else just walked by, pretending they" [knew where they were going], lol.

impudent strumpet said...

I once saw someone complain that people in Toronto are rude because they stopped and asked six (or some such number) people for directions to somewhere, and none of the people knew how to get there. They then compared it with some other place (I forget where) where multiple people were, and I quote, "happy to help."

Even though six people in Toronto were happy to help too, they just didn't happen to know the answer.