Sunday, November 19, 2006

Excuse me, ma'am, but how exactly do you cover your greys?

Since before I even started going grey, I've wanted to somehow colour my grey hairs some random third colour, like bright crayon red, while not affecting the natural colour of the hair that hasn't gone grey yet. Today on the subway I saw a lady who had achieved that very effect. It was a crowded train and I was standing right above her, so I had a chance to inspect the top of her head with impunity. Most of her hair was naturally black and did not appear to have been coloured at all, but about a dozen individual hairs were this beautiful shade of copper. When I visually followed the path of the copper hairs up to the roots, I noticed that they suddenly became silver about half an inch from the scalp. Clearly some kind of artificial colour applied to the grey hairs only - exactly what I've always wanted!

I only wish there was some way to politely ask a stranger on the subway, "Excuse me, ma'am, but how exactly do you cover your greys?"

3 comments:

Katrinka Bobinka said...

Oh I wish you had been able to ask! this is something I have always wanted to know also--especially in that I have more grey every time I look--and I hate, hate, hate the drugstore colors I'm stuck using right now!

s said...

It sounds like henna to me.

impudent strumpet said...

Ooh, good call S.! I did some googling, and it looked like this, only with fewer greys, and I think it was applied only to the greys because there was no reddish undertone to the black hair. Maybe I should start looking for some kind of applicator that could apply big gunky henna to individual hairs...