Saturday, July 06, 2019

The French words in Let Me Go by Cake

Ce poste est disponible en français ici.

Every time I hear to the song Let Me Go by Cake, I wonder what the French words spoken under the melody line are saying.

I do understand French, but I'm also lyric deaf, so the music gets in the way of my hearing all the words (in any language).

Every time I wonder this at a time when it's convenient to google, I try to see if anyone on the recorded internet has written down what the French says, and I can never find anyone who has.

So we're going to have to do it ourselves.

Here is Let Me Go by Cake, cued up to the point where the French starts.



Here's what I hear:

"[unintelligible] au contraire [unintelligible] conserver les échantillons [unintelligible] papier, plastique [unintelligible]"

Can you fill in any gaps?

For those who don't speak French:

au contraire = the same as in English: literally "to the contrary", a general indicator of disagreement
conserver les échantillons = keep/store/preserve the samples
papier, plastique = paper, plastic

12 comments:

laura k said...

I'm useless, but your post did lead me to listen to the song and other songs by this band. Really nice, very much in the vein of other bands I like. Thanks for that! Good luck with the lyrics.

impudent strumpet said...

The Cake song that I most often end up playing on repeat is Wheels

laura k said...

Thanks!

Unknown said...

All I could catch is "enchante, au contraire est suitement pour conserver les enchantillions savon (unintelligible) trois ans (unintelligible) papier, plastique (unintelligible) trouver (unintelligible)
and then a woman responds at some point and it sounds like she says "hiver" like winter

impudent strumpet said...

Building on that, I think I hear "téléphone" before "trois ans", and I think I hear "minimaux" and later "étiquette" sometime after "plastique".

However, this doesn't seem to be assembling itself into a coherent sentence.

Anonymous said...

It's probably a sound bit from a French movie or show and it's probably from the 50s/60s because that just seems like the vibe of the sound bit. I have no idea what it could be from there

Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph said...

Hey.

I know exactly where this sample is from, but it beats me to comprehend where and how the band could have possibly encountered this.

Crazy.

Do let me know if you still want to work this out.

impudent strumpet said...

So where is it from?

Derek Kerton, The Kerton Group said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Derek Kerton, The Kerton Group said...

Hey, fluent in french here, not native, but I can't make sense of this.
Here's what I have, with the understanding that some of these aren't words, and the total makes no sense. No accents on my keyboard, so...

enchante
au contraire
es fait afin conserver les echantillions
ca vaut contrait a l'epoque
ou a t'en faire blanc
pas de pied de plastique
dans la minotaure ettiquette
Quoi que vous ayes an principe
croyez vous...plutot...

Oh gilbert

Anonymous said...

TELL US WHERE THE SAMPLE IS FROM ITS KILLING ME NOT KNOWING