Friday, July 29, 2005

How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization by Franklin Foer

I don't think the title is quite accurate. Rather than how soccer explains globalization, this book is more about how globalization explains soccer culture around the world. I'm not a huge soccer fan - I can certainly enjoy World Cup, but if I never saw another soccer match I wouldn't care - but I still enjoyed this book because it offered me that most elusive quarry, insight into people's motiviations for incomprehensible acts. A lot of the book deals with hooliganism, and the author explains it in a way that not only makes me understand why someone would choose to be a hooligan, but also gives insight to the motiviation of the more macro violence of which hooliganism is a microcosm. This is another one for the "Read this to feel smart" list.

No comments: