Thursday, January 03, 2019

Things I Don't Understand: why do my thighs get colder than my calves?

Whenever I walk around outside in cold weather, my thighs get colder than my calves.

This makes no sense, because my winter coat is knee-length, so my thighs are covered in coat while my calves aren't.  (I don't own or care to shop for winter coats of any other lengths, so I can't do the obvious science experiment.)

Neither my boots nor my socks are tall enough to cover my my calves or warm enough to outweigh the warmth of my coat. (In other words, they're ordinary everyday socks and shoes, not thermal footwear for outdoor activities.)

My thighs have noticeably more fat on them than my calves do.

Even my feet don't get cold as much as my thighs do, and my feet are downright bony!

The coldness of my thighs can be felt externally as well as internally.  In other words, if I take off my pants as soon as I get home and feel my thighs and calves with my hands, my thighs are colder to the touch than my calves are.

Has anyone else ever experienced this, or know why this might happen?

2 comments:

laura k said...

I never thought about this before, but my thighs register cold more than my calves, too. No idea why that would be.

#CompletelyUselessComment: My hands and my feet are the only parts of my body that really get cold (assuming it's not -30). But my feet always get cold, no matter what. No matter what the temperature, even when it's really hot, I have to wear socks to bed, or my feet get so cold I can't sleep.

impudent strumpet said...

My hands always get cold, to the extent that in the winter I carry a large pair of mittens in my purse so I can put them on over my regular gloves whenever needed. But my feet aren't systematically prone to coldness, even though they're further away from my core and gravity is working against them.