I recently ended up walking from Bathurst to Yonge for various boring reasons. This is significant because shortly after I moved to Toronto I also ended up walking from Bathurst to Yonge for various boring reasons, and my feet and glutes hurt like hell the day after. I just wanted to lie down with my feet up and do nothing the next day. But this time, I had no ill effects.
I don't notice any difference in my external appearance or day-to-day functioning, but I guess I must be in better shape than I was in my early 20s!
I've noticed a number of other healthish things that are better than they were when I was younger:
- If I have to climb the stairs to my apartment, I don't get lactic acid in my legs, which I did in my early 20s.
- I can fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time. Up until my mid-20s, it took me 2 hours of lying in bed to fall asleep. (This can be directly traced to my parents' consistently setting me bedtimes that were way too early for my internal clock.)
- I'm not painfully thirsty when I wake up, and I don't have disgusting amounts of crust on my eyes, which often happened in my teens.
- My voice works every time I try to use it. When I was a preteen, it didn't always work, especially in the morning. Sometimes I'd try to talk and nothing came out, so I'd be trying to test my voice without anyone noticing in case I got called on in class.
- I hardly every get stiff and sore from using the computer for extended periods of time, which I often did in my early 20s. (This may well be a result of ergonomics.)
- I can translate on zero sleep, which I couldn't do at the beginning of my career. I can't do final copy without quality control, but I'm not useless. (This may well be a sign of being better at my job rather than being healthier.)
- I feel like things like zits, blisters, cuts, etc. heal faster. I'm not sure if this is true or if it's just that time passes faster when you're older. Acne is more likely to scar (although the scars do eventually heal), but the zits themselves seem to go through their lifecycle faster.