Friday, January 18, 2013

When the fans ruin a fandom

I've been watching and enjoying Big Bang Theory for several years (thank you Poodle!).  After I watch a new episode of any TV show, I like to have a look at TV review sites to see what they have to say.

Apparently, a while back, the TV show Community was scheduled in the same timeslot as Big Bang Theory.  When this happened, fans of Community started infesting the comment threads of Community reviews, dissing everyone for watching Big Bang Theory instead of Community.

I found this put me way off the idea of watching Community, especially since it was in the same timeslot as Big Bang Theory.  Why would I forgo something that I know I enjoy to watch something whose most remarkable feature that I've seen is that its fans go into spaces dedicated to discussing other shows and diss people for discussing the shows to which the spaces are dedicated?

However, the Comedy Network recently started airing Community in syndication, so I decided to watch it and see what all the fuss is about.  I found I enjoyed it, and I'm now caught up on the whole show.

But, even though I enjoy the show, I have no interest in participating in the fandom because of the fans who kept intruding upon Big Bang Theory space.  Because my experience with the fandom is people who come barging in on something I'm enjoying and dissing me for enjoying it and telling me to do something different instead, I don't want to spend time with those people or participate in their activities.

Not only that, but the annoyance of the Community fans who ran around intruding upon and dissing Big Bang Theory fans has triggered my "Don't let them win" reaction.  Even though I enjoy Community, I now wouldn't even consider signing a petition to save the show, because I don't want this assholic fan behaviour to get results.  And, if Community once again airs opposite Big Bang Theory, I will watch Big Bang Theory in my time zone and Community time-shifted, just to spite them.

No comments: