Friday, January 18, 2013

Things They Should Study: proportion of childfree vs. non-childfree people who change their minds

I've blogged before about how I used to want to have children, but then grew up to realize that I am in fact childfree.

Conventional wisdom is that people who are childfree may well change their minds (which is why it's so hard for those of us who have never had kids to get sterilized), but I find myself wondering if it might be the opposite.

Your worldview is first formed by your surroundings when you're a kid.  You first think that your surroundings and experiences are baseline human reality, and then gradually your worldview broadens as you grow up and learn more.

And, when you're a kid, the primary adults in your life are, necessarily, adults who are raising children.  So your very first impression of what you consider to be baseline human reality is that adults raise kids.

To arrive at the idea that you never want to have or raise kids, you have to put thought into the matter and question the basic assumptions you grew up with and conceptualize a reality that you may never have actually witnessed.  Critical thought goes into it - it's not a decision made mindlessly.

Because of this, I wonder how many people who are childfree actually change their minds compared with those who previously wanted children and then changed their minds.  This would be interesting to research.

3 comments:

laura k said...

It would be interesting to know, I agree. But do people grow up knowing they are childfree?

So how old do you have to be before a doctor in Ontario will believe you and do a sterilization procedure? If you've told me before, I apologize for my shoddy memory.

impudent strumpet said...

I've been told both 30 and 35. I haven't looked into it since turning 30, first because the method I want (Adiana) hadn't been approved in Canada, then because my GERD problems monopolized my medical attention, and then because Adiana got discontinued for non-medical commercial reasons and I haven't decided what I want to do.

laura k said...

I didn't know there were (or had been) non-surgical options.

It's pretty amazing - and outrageous - that doctors have a right to refuse a person's request for sterlization. Even mistakes and regrets should be ours to make.

Not that I'm suggesting you would regret it. Just in general.