Sunday, August 12, 2012

Insecurity in one's own humanity?

A lot of people seem very invested in the idea of a clear divide between humans and animals.

Once upon a time, I came up with a theory that humans are actually the least advanced species, because we need to modify our environment so much, and the most advanced species must be something like lichen that survive and thrive on some desolate piece of rock. I thought it was an interesting way to look at things differently. I never would have expected the reaction I got - quite a number of people were outright offended that I'd suggest that we weren't the most advanced species!

I've recently been reading a book about how veterinary knowledge might be applicable to human medicine (Zoobiquity by Barbara Natterson-Horowitz and Kathryn Bowers), and it keeps talking about how conventional wisdom used to be that animals don't have emotions, or don't feel pain, or don't engage in non-procreative sexual behaviours - or whatever the topic of the chapter is - and conventional wisdom always seemed to assert that these things were uniquely human and served to distinguish us from the animals. As though they're really invested in distinguishing us from the animals.

But why is this? It doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't your internal self-awareness of yourself as human be sufficient? When I first learned about the theory of evolution, I found it reassuring. Being an animal who evolved out of other animals made so much more sense than humans being special. It makes me feel like we might actually belong on this planet. Why does this need to be more special than the other creatures rather than part of the ecosystem exist in the first place?

1 comment:

laura k said...

quite a number of people were outright offended that I'd suggest that we weren't the most advanced species!

This sounds exactly like the many Americans who are outright offended when anyone suggests the USA isn't the most advanced and best country in the world! I never get that either.

Like you, I am also comforted by the knowledge that we are related to non-human animals, that we humans are also animals, and share some commonality with them.

I feel a similar comfort that we share something with ancient humans, that we live on the same earth, and, I think, feel many of the same emotions and perhaps think some of the same thoughts that they did.

I don't have an answer to your question, but it does seem to be some kind of insecurity.