Saturday, November 27, 2010

Things They Should Invent: accept paper in the organic waste stream

Before I bought a paper shredder, I'd dispose of important documents by ripping them up by hand and then putting some (but not all) of the pieces in my kitchen garbage. On top of the fact that the document was a) ripped up and b) not all in the same garbage bag, I then had the additional layer of security of it being really gross to retrieve the pieces, because they were in with egg shells and coffee grinds and apples cores and rotten lettuce.

As an added service to the public, the City should let everyone put any important papers that need to be disposed of in with their organic waste. Paper does biodegrade so it shouldn't hurt anything, and it will make pilfering personal documents out of the garbage at least more unpleasant, if not more difficult.

2 comments:

laura k said...

Peel allows this. I tend to only put wet paper or cardboard in the organic stream, but I could also put ripped up or shredded paper, too.

But Toronto allows pet poop in the organic stream, and Peel does not. Which is not relevant to your post, just something I would like.

impudent strumpet said...

That's so weird! Poo is like...the most organic thing ever!