Saturday, June 26, 2010

Currently wondering: are politicians open to specific solutions from citizens?

Sometimes when I write to my elected representatives, it's because I've come up with a solution to a problem. When the debate of the moment is "Free widgets for all!" vs. "Ban widgets!", sometimes I think of a new way to keep widgets affordable and accessible for everyone who needs them while also greatly reducing the widget-related injuries that have cause people to call for a ban in the first place.

Are politicians equipped to handle this? If my idea is in fact new and original, is there even a mechanism for them to take what's useful from my new idea and run with it and build a better widget? Or are they only equipped to check off X votes in the pro-widget box and Y votes in the non-widget box?

1 comment:

laura k said...

I think they are not equipped. I think the Parliamentary system is set up for the check-yes, check-no system.

For innovation, look to non-profits, NGOs, grassroots, who make change and then bring politicos along with them.

Just MO but with a lot of observation to back it up.