Sunday, June 13, 2010

A mission for everyone who has, or knows, a 905 phone number

1. Think of a 905 phone number, any 905 phone number with which you're familiar. It's better if it's an older phone number that was in use before 1993, but if you don't know any older ones any 905 number will do.

2. Remove the 905 area code and replace it with 416. Then call the number and see if it rings.

3. Post in the comments what happens. Don't post the actual number! Just is the number from before or after 1993, and does it ring.

Why are we doing this? Because prior to 1993, 416 and 905 all fell under the 416 area code. They split the area code in 1993, assigning 416 to Toronto proper and 905 to the suburbs and outlying areas. The ostensible reason for this was that we were running out of 416 numbers.

But I just called the phone number I grew up with (but with 416 instead of 905), and it said it hadn't been assigned. So I'm wondering whether that's a fluke.

So let's do an experiment! If you have or know of a 905 number that used to be a 416 number before the area code split, give the 416 number a call, and post the results in the comments. Don't post the phone number! Just is it from before 1993, and did it ring?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My old number from that changed from 416 to 905 rings.

laura k said...

I know tons of 905 numbers, since I live in 905 (although I don't have one myself). I tried this on a few numbers. They all rang, so I stopped doing it!

impudent strumpet said...

Weird. Mine must be cursed. Or maybe I should call the phone company and see if they can give me that number.