Monday, October 16, 2006

Here's my plan, someone tell me if it's illegal

I want to give any TDSB students who stumble upon this blog a say in their school board trustee. My plan is to invite TDSB students to leave me comments on which trustee candidate they prefer, and then cast my vote for the candidate that gets the most "votes" in my blog.

I would implement measures to verify (insofar as possible, without compromising students' privacy) that the post are actually coming from students and not candidates or outsiders.

Would I be breaking any election laws if I did that?

3 comments:

M@ said...

I don't see why not. A lot of people voted for Harper last time because he had commercials showing people in diners being mad at Liberals. If that's not wrong, then your idea _certainly_ isn't.

Bottom line, the vote is yours. People make up their minds in much, much stupider ways. (Actually I think yours is a great idea -- I hope the right candidate wins.)

impudent strumpet said...

I don't know, there are all kinds of rules I don't understand. You can't donate to a campaign anonymously. Campaign workers can give voters rides to their voting place, but can't hook them up with an interpreter. Maybe there's also some rule against offering to serve as a proxy for people who cannot legally vote, or at least doing so openly and publically. I have no idea how to look it up though.

Anonymous said...

I know that in the US, at least, it's illegal to sell your vote. I don't think the law applies to giving it away, or to acting as a proxy, but who knows?

I don't see what would be wrong about allowing kids who will be directly affected by the outcome to influence your vote. I don't think it's illegal to be swayed by a newspaper endorsement, or a campaign ad, so what is the difference if you are swayed by a group of students responding to a blog post?

That would be my first argument following your arrest, anyway. :-/