Friday, September 10, 2004

Malheureusement, I find myself thinking about US politics again. Three points:

1. I find it strange that quite a few political critics point at US politicians and say "I don't see your kids in the military!" as though having kids in the military is a demonstration of the politician's virtue. Now, I realize that someone whose kids are in the military is likely to be less frivolous about military deployment, but the fact remains that a politician's children are completely separate people from the politician. They are not some artificial extension of their parents. An adult child's career path is in no way a manifestation of their parent's virtue or lack thereof. What the critics should be focusing on instead is the politician's own career path. "I don't see you on the front lines!" I wish they'd stop making an issue of politicians' children's lives, so that the poor kids can live their lives on their own terms instead of being pressured to live in a way that's politically appealing.

2. Canadians: I'm sure you've noticed by now that any time anyone publicly utters anything that's anything less than audulatory of any US policy, someone writes a letter to the editor screaming "ANTI-AMERICANISM!" Have you ever noticed that the vast majority of these things that are being decried as anti-American are things that we'd just laugh at if they came out of the US?

3. Bloggers have probably alread seen it, but this article is particularly interesting. You'd think that if someone was going to forge a document as typewritten, they'd either a) use a typewriter, or b) use a font where all the letters have equal spacing (and I know there's a cool word for that, but I forget). More valuable commentary here.

No comments: