Thursday, December 14, 2023

How to open the pump on Dove Advanced Care hand wash

Dove Advanced Care Deep Moisture hand wash has been a lifesaver as the eczema on my hands has gotten increasingly sensitive since this past summer. I'm no longer dreading washing my hands! (Although I still do have to be diligent about moisturizing after each and every wash.)

However, I find the pumps nearly impossible to open! I rotate and rotate and rotate them, but they just don't open like every other pump bottle I've ever owned has.

So after extensive trial and error, I've discovered how to actually open these bottles.
 
The pump from a bottle of hand soap being grasped between thumb and forefinger just below the lid
Where to grasp the pump
1. Unscrew the lid and pull the whole pump and tube out of the bottle.
2. Grasp the tube under the lid, where you can see a spring inside the tube.
3. Twist the top of the pump counterclockwise as directed.
4. Once the pump pops up, you can put it back in the bottle and put the lid back on.
 

 

Somehow, with this specific kind of bottle and pump, taking it off the bottle and grasping the part lets it open easily where my usual ways of opening these kinds of bottles don't work.

However, it would be better if the Dove corporation could adjust the kinds of pumps they use so they open like normal bottle pumps.

3 comments:

laura k said...

Thank you for this! I have a pump bottle that I couldn't open (not from Dove), and ended up unscrewing the top completely, which leads to all kinds of issues. I'll try this.

Also, I will google to learn if this product exists in fragrance free form. This is a great skincare tip, but I'm guessing it will collide with scent issues.

Just in case I forget to come back here beforehand, happy birthday (soon). Glad you are still blogging.

impudent strumpet said...

They do have a sensitive skin version, but I don't remember if it was fragrance free. I was trying to decide between sensitive skin and deep moisture, and I chose the deep moisture one for reasons that are now lost to history.

laura k said...

Not fragrance free. :(

Thank dog for Cetaphil. Aveeno also has reliable fragrance free products. In case you or anyone reading ever needs such a thing.