Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Crucial questions to answer in your Zoom meeting invitation

1. How interactive is the meeting?
 
Are attendees just listening? Or are they expected to participate interactively? Or are they permitted to ask questions etc., but can also sit there listening quietly? Should attendees expect to be asked to move/second/vote on things?
 
2. What's the camera etiquette?
 
Is this the kind of meeting where the norm is to have your camera on? Or is this the kind of meeting where they forcibly turn off attendees' cameras and mute their mics? Or do people turn their cameras on to talk but turn them off the rest of the time to save bandwidth? Or do people genuinely not care?


For me, the difference between a meeting where I have to be on camera and interacting (and, therefore, do enough beauty labour to avoid hindering my credibility) and a meeting where I can be off-camera and multi-tasking with vision therapy changes the logistics of literally my entire day. I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

If you calibrate expectations and make sure everyone's on the same page, you'll have a better meeting for everyone.

No comments: