Sunday, November 28, 2021

Hard work

Conventional wisdom is that hard work is a virtue.  If you work hard, you will achieve success.


I think we need to question the notion that work needs to be hard to be adequate.


Some people, when they read that, will have the visceral reaction of "Oh, you just don't want to work!"

But that's not the argument I'm making here today.

For the purposes of today's blog post, I'm not questioning the "work" part, I'm just questioning the "hard" part.

(I know there are other people questioning the "work" part and I'm not going to get in their way, that's just not my topic here today.)


When I think of everything I've ever done well, I've never worked hard at any of it. I simply...did it. I carried out the necessary actions, did the thing, and it was done and done well.

So, you might be thinking, what would happen if I did work hard at it?

And the answer is that it would be impossible to work hard at it, because I finished it before the work got hard.


Analogy: you can't sprint one step. You simply take the step, and you've completed it before you can even get up to a sprinting level of effort. (Unless, of course, you can't take any steps.  But then you can't sprint one step either.)


There are also quite a few things in life that I've worked hard at.  And, despite my hard work, I never reached the point of doing them well. I basically knocked myself out to achieve mediocrity.


Before we even look at it from our own perspective as workers, if we look at it just from the perspective of having a functional economy and society, people knocking themselves out to achieve mediocrity is the last thing we want!

If you're in the market for a product or service, you want that product to be made or that service to be provided by someone who knows what they're doing.  The more important it is and the harder it is to do, the more you want someone who's certain they can do it well.  
 
You want a beautician who makes people way uglier than you look way hotter than you've ever aspired to, no one who isn't sure if they can make eyebrows like yours look good but they'll try their best. You want a renovator who thinks the work you have in mind is so easy they don't see why you don't do it yourself, not one who's unsure whether it's possible but is willing to give it the good old college try. You want a surgeon who could do your surgery in their sleep, not one who for whom it's a reach goal.
 
Essentially, if someone is working hard, it's a sign that something is wrong - insufficient training, too-tight timelines, not the right person for the job, etc.
 
Maybe, instead of valuing hard work, we as a society should be working on eliminating it.

4 comments:

laura k said...

I always took the "hard" in that case to mean being willing to challenge yourself, caring about your work, doing more than the bare minimum.

Depending on the nature of the work, that might mean being more careful, giving more attention to detail, asking questions to ensure that you fully understand rather than assuming, not doing the same thing in the same way all the time, bringing more thought and creativity to the task, etc.

If you think about the difference between what separates a good translator from a mediocre one, other than their facility with the language, there are probably factors like this in play.

In all the work I've done, there has been a way to work "harder" in at least one of these ways, or to "phone it in" and do the bare minimum. I know it's time to do different work when I stop wanting to challenge myself and veer towards doing the minimum.

Lorraine said...

The idea that work is supposed to be painful traces its origin to the Original Sin story in Genesis.

impudent strumpet said...

I've been thinking about the difference between a good translator and a mediocre one, and I don't actually think it's something that can be done with hard work, in that you can't buckle down and make a particular effort to achieve it.

I see it more as a sort of insight or way of thinking that a person either does or doesn't have at a given moment. You can certainly develop it over time, but you can't do anything right this minute to make it happen for this particular translation that you're working on today. In contrast, I see hard work as something that you can do (or not do) right this minute with effort or diligence.

But then, I also don't see bringing thought or creativity to a task as something a person can do in the moment with effort. The thought and creativity either are or aren't there. If they aren't there today, they might develop in the future, or they might come to you in the shower on the Sunday after the project has been handed in, but I don't see them as something you can cause to happen with hard work.

Can't tell if this is semantics or if our brains work differently.

laura k said...

Ah yes, I see what you're saying. I think of hard work as something that can be done either in the short term (eg, more attention to detail) or in the long term (eg, staying up to date on the trends in your field, taking a course, upgrading skills, learning new habits when interacting with people).

I don't think hard work needs to be painful. It could be enjoyable and satisfying.