Sunday, March 07, 2021

The Toronto Star should print URLs next to QR codes

During the pandemic, I've been reading the epaper versions of the my newspapers rather than getting my usual home delivery, and I've noticed an annoyance: links to further information on the Toronto Star site are provided as a QR code, without a corresponding URL provided.

This is an annoyance by itself in the print version, because it only gives you the option of opening the link on a mobile device, even if you'd prefer to read on a computer.

But it's all the more annoying in the epaper version, because epaper readers are already reading on their preferred device for reading a newspaper electronically! If I'm reading on my computer like I usually do, I could, theoretically, grab my phone and scan the QR code. But what if I was already reading on my phone? Surely there are many households that don't have extra mobile devices just sitting around unused for every time you want to click a link!

If the Star would simply print URLs next to (or instead of) QR codes, everyone could access the links by the means most convenient to them, thereby maximizing the number of eyeballs on the Star's website. Using the QR code alone is inconvenient to many and impenetrable to some. There's no reason not to continue printing URLs, like they have since the advent of URLs.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I've noticed the return of QR codes. It seemed like they went out of style for many years, and now I see companies using them again. Putting them in a digital version?! That's ridiculous.

I write a column for a print newspaper now, and I type in URLs or navigation. If I used QR codes no one would ever use them.

I hope you tweeted The Star.

impudent strumpet said...

Update: I just noticed that the QR codes in the epaper version are now clickable links! Thank you, Toronto Star!

Although it would still be useful to print the URL as well in the print version, for people who'd rather open the link on a computer.