Tuesday, December 22, 2020

40

I turn 40 today!

I think I am in a good place in life.

- Apart from the fact that I'm not married, I've done literally everything I imagined doing with my life. I have no bucket list.

- I'm weathering the pandemic well, and sustainably. I was sprinting at first and had to dial it back to a marathon pace, but I can keep this up long-term if necessary.

- So many of the life decisions I made when I was younger - so many of the life decisions people tried to dissuade me from! - have paid off during the pandemic. Obviously luck and privilege also contributed strongly to my coming through the pandemic well, but it's remarkable to me how basically every life decision people tried to dissuade me from paid off during this pandemic.

- My job comes easily to me. It's harder after my head injury, but still doesn't meet the criteria of objectively hard.

- Based on information to date, buying my condo was the right decision.

- My body continues to do what I need it to as well as it ever has. Any issues are head-injury-related, not aging-related. (Of course, I'd also love for the head injury to no longer be a factor.)

- I have social capital, at least in the circles I move in. At work, with family and friends, in the community, I can say "I think we should do X" or "No, I won't be doing Y", and I'm heard and respected. I can also say "I don't know how this works, what do I do?" or "I'm frightened and confused" or "I can't lift this", and people help. (Again, privilege is certainly a factor, but it didn't work this way for me when I was younger.) In non-pandemic times, people I know will let me hold their baby, and even strangers will let me pet their dog.

- I've been following a lot of younger people on Twitter, and it makes me feel confident about the future and quite content to step aside and let the youth lead. They tend to be more radical than people I encounter in the natural course of my life (most of whom are my age or older), and I feel good about this. I like the idea of a world where people like me are dated and old-school and things are growing and evolving beyond what we could even imagine when we were visiting geocities sites with our dial-up modems.

- I've recently stumbled into a new fandom (Good Omens!) and it's really good for me. I'm going through the same kind of growth and evolution as when I fell into Eddie Izzard fandom 13 years ago, and I'm looking forward to seeing who I become when I emerge on the other side.

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Happy birthday.

According to Sartre, 40 is the age of reason.

laura k said...

Happy birthday! I'm happy that you feel so good about your life and your place in the world.

In my experience, there is nothing like seeing your decisions pay off -- especially when they went against others' expectations and people tried to dissuade you -- for building confidence and contentment.

I was hoping you would blog about Eddie Izzard's announcement that she is now using she/her rather than he/him. Because you are my go-to for All Things Eddie Izzard.

impudent strumpet said...

I tweeted briefly about Eddie. Didn't make a whole blog post about it because what is there to say other than I'm happy for her and proud of her?

impudent strumpet said...

And thank you for the birthday wishes everyone :)

laura k said...

Didn't make a whole blog post about it because what is there to say other than I'm happy for her and proud of her?

I can think of many things -- but you've probably written those posts before.