Sunday, June 24, 2018

The logistics of being rich

When you go through customs, they ask you if you packed your baggage yourself.

But very rich people probably don't - they probably have their personal assistant or whatever pack their bags.

So how does that conversation go?  "No, of course I didn't back my own bags - I had my assistant do it."  Then what happens?  Do they need to question the assistant?  What if the assistant isn't there?

Rich people also probably don't wait on hold - they have their assistant call the cable company. But often when I make these kinds of phone calls, they verify my identity.  So how does that work?  Does the assistant pretend to be their employer?  Does the employer have the assistant added to their account? Do they have to change a whole bunch of accounts every time they get a new assistant?

When I make an appointment, I have all kinds of preferences.  Ideally after 4:30, although I might be able to do earlier if necessary. Afternoons are better than mornings. Thursdays are worse than other days, although not completely out of the question.  Certain medical appointments need to take place at certain points in my menstrual cycle. Certain beauty appointments need to be timed vis-à-vis other beauty appointments and a certain amount of time before the event in question.

Rich people don't make their own appointments, they have their assistant do it.  So does the rich person have this big complex conversation about their preferences with the assistant, and then the assistant has to write all this down and convey it in making the appointment?  Or does the assistant just stick the appointment in wherever the rich person has an opening on their calendar, and their preferences don't get taken into account?

1 comment:

laura k said...

I've never been rich, but I've been an assistant.

Assitants keep their boss' schedule, and they know their boss' preferences. That's a significant part of their job. Boss says, Can you make an appointment for me to ....? Assistant either already knows preferences and confirms them -- "the usual morning appointment?" -- or asks a few questions, then makes the appointment. Assistant may also reschedule the appointment if things get too booked up.

Waiting on hold, assistants answer questions as if they are their boss, unless they are unable to, then they have to end the call, get more information when they can, and try again.

I've never had a job where I packed for anybody. It's likely that the assistant reviews what the boss will need for the trip -- aside from the usual, which they should already know. Then assistant packs, then reviews what is packed with the boss.

All this can have an additional layer of assistant, too. Many people have schedulers and assistants and those people answer to an executive assistant. Only exec assistant deals with boss, usually.