Thursday, August 15, 2013

Brother DCP-7060D: a printer that works

I previously bought an inkjet printer simply because I needed a printer-scanner combo immediately and that was the cheapest one readily available that was small enough to comfortably carry home.  However, it quickly became apparent that a laser printer would be a better fit for my needs, so I decided that when the inkjet ran out of ink, I'd rehome it and replace it with a laser printer.

I looked through the Consumer Reports recommendations for all-in-one laser printers (fun fact: you can access the Consumer Reports subscriber website with your Toronto Public Library card! All you have to do is log in through here!) and a lot of them were huge.  The smallest one (and only one with a remote chance of fitting into the space where I needed it to fit) was the Brother DCP-7060D.  It turned out there was an incredibly good deal on it on NewEgg, so I bought it.

I've had it for a month, and I love it because it does its job exactly right every single time with no fussing or drama!  I plug it into the computer, the USB detects it and installs the drivers and it's ready to go without any intervention on my part. I press print, it prints. I want two-sided printing, it auto-duplexes. I accidentally press print when it isn't plugged in or turned on, it prints once it's plugged in and turned on.  I press Cancel Job, it cancels the job.

It hasn't once given me any stupid error messages or freaked out for no reason or otherwise failed to do exactly what it's supposed to do. This is the first personal printer I've owned that I can say that about!

I recommend it unreservedly if you have the budget and the space and don't need colour printing.

3 comments:

laura k said...

Great to know! Nothing beats laser printing.

We've always had access to unrestricted laser printing at work, so only had an inkjet at home. But I think when our current inkjet dies, I'm going for laser. I did a quick price-check online and your Bro seems like a very good deal.

Lorraine said...

Ink jet printers are little money pits. I hope you're rehoming yours with someone you hate. Just kidding.

We also own a Brother laser printer. As far as I know Brother is the only printer vendor that offers officially sanctioned Linux drivers for its entire line of printers. That kind of support deserves support...

Unknown said...

That's great! Most of the bloggers I see here blog about their printer to complain about it. Not that I blame them, it's really hard to find a printer that's not going to cause a fuss. It seems you found the printer of your life! Just keep in mind to recycle or sell the empty cartridges instead of throwing them away. Fletcher @ ConcordSupplies.com