Friday, March 29, 2013

Can you mail a package to a baby in Australia?

I really wish Not Always Right had a comments section after reading this story, where a plot point is an apparent Australian post office rule that only the person whose name is on the package is allowed to pick up the package.

I've sent My Favourite Little Person a number of things in the mail over the course of her life, and I always put her name on the package and address her in the second person in the enclosed note. Her parents have told me they appreciate this, because it respects her humanity.  She's small and preverbal, but still deserves to be addressed as a person.

However, she would not be able to pick up a package.  She can't sign for it, and she doesn't even have photo ID.  So if she lived in Australia and I addressed the package to her, would it be forever caught in limbo because she's a baby?

No comments: