Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Teach me about optican economics

Optical stores, at least large chains, often have major discounts that only apply if you buy a complete pair of glasses (i.e. frames and lenses).  They won't ever give you a discount if you just have new lenses installed in a pair of frames that you already own.

As a result, there are times, with major sales and less expensive frames, when  you could get a complete pair of glasses for less than it would cost for just the lenses.  For example, using numbers that make the math easy, if the frames cost $100, the lenses cost $200, and there's a 50% discount happening, you could get a complete pair for $150 where they would charge you $200 to put exactly the same lenses in a pair of your own frames. 

I understand that the lenses are custom-made and frames are mass-produced, so the margins are far greater on frames.  But what do they gain by charging me less for buying more things?

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Maybe the discount seekers also buy accessories, and of course there's always the sales pitch for scratch-coat, UV, etc., etc.

Maybe they have found lens-only customers to be less frequent customers. Certainly the fashion-unconscious consumer is a low-volume consumer across a broad range of industries.

In general, the idea of component systems is hostile to the idea of package deals, and the latter probably come with a larger audience, certainly a more passive audience, and maybe a more spendy audience.

You seem to be a member of a tribe I call the 'mobrains,' short for 'more brains than money.' That's the motto on my defunct Blogger blog that these comments link to. Soldier on, sister.

laura k said...

I have wondered about this, too. My prescriptions used to change frequently, so I would use the same frames for a long time. It was pretty economical.

Now my Rx changes less frequently but is super expensive, so I always get new frames. The whole thing is strange.

I'm catching up on blogs after a long absence. The new look is great.

impudent strumpet said...

The irony is I'm so eager to replace the lenses for fashion purposes, not for practicality. I feel more attractive in my current frames than in any other frames I've seen commercially available. I've found others that are close but don't make me quite as happy, so it seems I'm willing to pay significantly more money in order to avoid feeling marginally less attractive.

I question whether purchase frequency would be a factor, because my own purchase frequency is determined by my insurance. Although I don't know how many people have insurance, or how many people buy glasses more frequently than their insurance will cover.

laura k said...

From what I can tell, most people with insurance go with the frequency their coverage allows. Even though my insurance (through my partner) covers only a small fraction of the cost of my glasses, I still prefer not to get new glasses until the new coverage kicks in. But by the time those 24 months roll around I am sick to death of my frames.