Saturday, October 06, 2012

Teach me how to make my taskbar behave

I'm using Windows 7, and I have a few of my most commonly-used programs "pinned" to my taskbar, just to the right of the Start button.

Previously, when I'd open one of these programs, it the pinned icon would disappear.  It would kind of turn into the active taskbar button.

However, this hasn't been happening lately.  Now, the icons continue to appear next to the start button in addition to the taskbar buttons.

Here's a screenshot of my taskbar:


I have Firefox, Sims and iTunes open, and the buttons for those programs appear to the right of the pinned icons.  Previously, the pinned icons would have turned into buttons, so the icons and the buttons would not both have been present at once.

How do I make it go back to the way it was before, or what can I google to find it out?  What's the proper name of this icons turning into buttons phenomenon?

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

Why Google when you can quack?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22windows+7%22+taskbar+icons+buttons+both

laura k said...

I use Windows 7 at home and work, and have never seen this. Dumb question, but did you try restarting the computer? Sometimes there are these weird screen distortions, when something appears to be there but is not. When you restart, it goes away.

I'll try to find an answer for you. I guess I would Google "Windows 7 taskbar icon issue" or some combination like that.

laura k said...

This might or might not help.

http://youtu.be/gM_kmYarKww

(OK to watch on mute.)

laura k said...

This is the Google search I did. It turned up lots of people with various Windows 7 taskbar issues.

http://bit.ly/VCcUUf

impudent strumpet said...

I found it! It was one of the results in that Google search - thanks! (I still have no idea what alleged problem that video is trying to solve.) The keyword I was looking for that I couldn't think of is "duplicate". The problem was duplicate pinned taskbar icons. I'll post the solution in a moment once I re-find the thing I need to copy-paste to do so.

impudent strumpet said...

The solution:

1. Go to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar (replacing "YourUserName" with your actual username)

2. You will see duplicates of some of the shortcuts. Delete the duplicates.

3. The internet told me to change the remaining shortcuts to Read Only. (Right-click on the shortcut in question, click on Properties, put a checkmark next to Read Only.) I can't confirm the necessity of this step, but I can confirm that doing so appeared to be harmless when I did it.

laura k said...

Excellent! Duplicate, of course.

I wonder if that is an IE problem, not a Win7 problem.

impudent strumpet said...

The weird thing is I'm not even using IE. That's just the name of the folder that the quick launch icons live in.

impudent strumpet said...

For the sake of completeness, here is what my taskbar looks like after making the changes.

laura k said...

"The weird thing is I'm not even using IE. That's just the name of the folder that the quick launch icons live in."

That IS weird! I was surprised you would use IE.