Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Ahh Bra is good for sleep, but not recommended for everyday

At the more sensitive parts of my cycle, I like to wear a bra to sleep.  I'd always used old sports bras for this purpose, but they've gotten stretched out enough that they're useless even as sleep bras.  So I was once again in the market for something wireless and not too confining, but also not too expensive.  I saw the Ahh Bra advertised on TV and thought it was basically the right idea, and I was able to find one on eBay for under $5, so I decided to give it a try.

It is extremely comfortable and holds everything reasonably in place without being too confining, so it's ideal for sleep.  It fulfilled the need for which I purchased it and I certainly feel I got my money's worth given the very low price I paid for it.

However, I do not recommend it for everyday wear.  I didn't feel sufficiently supported in it for daytime wear (my first instinct was to fold my arms under my breasts), even though my breasts didn't end up moving as much as I felt like they were going to.  It also does nothing for my figure.  I don't know if it compresses the breasts or if it's just the shape they land in, but my bustline certainly looks smaller than it does in a regular bra or even without a bra.  I also found that the material of the cups is too thin to disguise the nipples in a white shirt, which is the whole reason why I started wearing bras back when I was 11 in the first place.

I should add, as context, that I like wearing a bra.  Based on the advertising, the target audience of the Ahh Bra seems to be people who find it irritating to wear a bra.  It might still be a useful product for the target audience because it is, quite literally, better than nothing.  It provides some support, and it has none of the characteristics that, the commercials claim, make bras annoying.  It would be comfortable enough for my 11-year-old self, who absolutely hated having a band around her ribs, although it doesn't obscure the nipples enough to meet her needs.

If you want lift, shape, support, or modesty for everyday wear, this is not for you.  If you want a sleep bra without regard for appearance, or otherwise want to limit your breasts' range of motion without wire or tight elastics, this may be for you.

No comments: