Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Whatever happened to cable shows on regular TV channels?

A couple of years ago, TV shows that normally only play on the movie networks were showing old seasons on normal basic or extended cable channels. For example, the first two seasons of Dexter were on Bravo, and the first two seasons of Big Love were on Showcase.

Then they stopped doing that. Why didn't they continue doing that? Both these shows reached five seasons (and Dexter is still going on), but they never showed more than the first two on the channels that I get.

I know they're available on DVD (as well as all the usual unofficial methods), but I find it very easy to procrastinate TV and movies when I know I can watch them any time. If they're on at a specific time, I'll tune in and watch; if they're on DVD or on my computer, I always feel "Meh, I can watch that any time."

4 comments:

laura k said...

I think it's down to the individual show, whether or not they do the licensing. Bravo shows a lot of the Showcase shows, for example.

impudent strumpet said...

Then why would they licence the first couple of seasons but not the rest?

laura k said...

The Bravo seasons may be a come-on to get people to subscribe to Showcase. Like drug dealers, a free taste to get you hooked.

laura k said...

A long time ago, that happened to me with the Chris Isaak Show. I watched the first season on Bravo, then it went to Showtime (in the US), a premium channel.

Then it never came out on DVD. Ever. I got a bootleg copy a few years ago as a gift.