Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A solution to busybodies

There are certain parties who like to ask very personal questions and, when you protest, say "But I was just making conversation!"

A possible solution: change the subject to something completely else that's perfectly valid for just making conversation. "So did you see any of the Perseid meteor shower?" "Would you recommend Inception or Scott Pilgrim?" "Is it just me, or are blueberries more expensive this year?" After all, that's conversation!

3 comments:

Ollie Ollie said...

Ask something even more rude and personal. They ask about your salary or your favourite position, you ask when their ladybits started to hang down so low past their waist.

Hey, it's just conversation!

laura k said...

I've taken to be polite and direct. "That's not conversation, it's prying, and it's inappropriate."

I've tried a lot of different things. These days this is my fave.

impudent strumpet said...

Something about dealing with these people gives me a massive urge to be better than them. So while Ollie's suggestion is equally valid, I find it unappealing.

Another strategy I've been considering (haven't had an opportunity to test) is "Oh, so you enjoy being asked questions like that? I had no idea! So when are you going to get married? Why have you put on so much weight? When are you going to get a reasonable haircut?"