Friday, June 04, 2021

Food storage containers with clip lids are extremely difficult to open and close

Latest pandemic malfunction: the container I use to store my cooked pasta broke!

When shopping online for an appropriate-sized replacement, the option I found was a "Clip It" container - a glass container with a plastic lid that has clips along the side, as shown in the image.

Rectangular glass food storage containers with plastic lids. The lids have clips on the side tha tneed to be pushed down over the lip of the glass containers in order to seal properly
Clip It food storage containers
Unfortunately, it turns out they're extremely difficult to use.

It takes a lot of force to push the clips down in a way that will allow them to clip over the lip of the glass containers, and therefore to seal the lid. If I handle it like a normal container with a normal amount of force and strength, I can get a maximum of one (1) clip to clip. If I use my body weight and gravity, I can get a maximum of two (2) clips to clip. I have never, not once, been able to get all four to clip. 

I know I'm not especially strong, but it really shouldn't be at all difficult to operate a food storage container!

If you are considering buying this style of food storage container, I strongly recommend trying it out before you buy it - or, at least, keeping it in returnable condition until you're certain you can make it work - so you don't end up paying for a container that's difficult to operate.  (I made the mistake of removing the labels, throwing out the receipt, running it through the dishwasher, and filling it with food before I discovered that the lid was difficult to close, because, like, it never occurred to me that a food container could be difficult to operate!)

And if, like me, you are stuck with this style of container, I found it's less difficult to put the lid on if I do so on a table rather than on the counter. The table is lower than the counter, so I can press downwards and use my body weight, which gives me enough leverage to get two of the clips to clip and therefore for the lid to be reasonably closed.

However, it shouldn't be this hard! I shouldn't need leverage and body weight and strategy to operate a food container. And, for that reason, I strongly recommend avoiding them.

2 comments:

laura k said...

This is very useful information, thank you! (That sounds like a spam comment.)

I wonder if these ridiculous Clip It lids retain their shape better than other plastic lids. I rave about Pyrex glass food storage containers -- to me they are the absolute best -- but the lids do stretch and sometimes crack over time, and I've bought replacement lids. However, I'd never be able to use Clip It containers, because I'd never be able to close them, so I guess I'll never know!

impudent strumpet said...

Uh oh, I didn't know that, and the replacement I ordered is Pyrex. I have a few Pyrex containers already and haven't had lid problems, but they aren't used nearly as frequently as my pasta container is going to be.

My previous container is Frigoverre (which seems to be hard to come by now, but I just picked it up at Kitchen Stuff Plus years ago). The lid was perfectly fine for well over a decade, but the glass cracked.

I didn't check the dimensions so I don't know if my Frigoverre lid will fit onto the Pyrex container I've ordered, but maybe I should hold onto it...